A new “Coffee Talk” series at Sussex County Community College invites the public to grab a cup of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate and join students and staff virtually to engage in open communication about hot topics in the community and the nation.
“The goal is to allow participants to openly discuss ideas, thoughts, and issues that surround them every day,” said Amy Rude, assistant director of Campus Life. “We have a desire to help students understand that you can disagree with someone but still find common ground and civility in the discussion.”
Every Monday at 2 p.m., Sussex’s Campus Life will host a virtual discussion on Zoom about a different topic. This schedule is as follows:
● Nov. 9: America After the Election: Where do we go from here?
● Nov. 16: New Jersey Millionaires Tax, with guest moderator Dr. Anthony Balzano
● Nov. 23: How One Tweet Can Ruin Your Life
● Nov. 30: Discussion on physical disability, with guest moderator Dr. Anthony Balzano
● Dec. 7: How Movies Influence Gender Roles
Eventually, it is the goal of the department to offer on-campus “Coffee Talks” with a variety of informative topics.
For more information, to read supplementary materials in advance of the discussions, and to access the Zoom link, visit the event calendar at sussex.edu/about-sussex/event-calendar or email Amy Rude at firstname.lastname@example.org.