Board and administration communicating

| 29 Sep 2011 | 10:31

    No action taken on motion against Superintendent, By Fran Hardy Sparta - The Sparta Board of Education raced through a number of agenda items during an hour-and-a-half public session, before adjourning into a three-hour caucus to discuss contract and personnel matters. The special meeting called on Wednesday, Nov. 29 lasted into the early hours of Thursday, Nov. 30; however, no action was taken on the items discussed in executive session. The purpose of the meeting was to deal with a motion introduced at the Nov. 13 regular meeting. That motion, an action against Superintendent of Schools Dr. Thomas Morton, was postponed to the special meeting. Since the motion concerned a personnel issue, the board invoked the provisions of the state’s Open Public Meetings Act, and discussed it in closed session. When board members emerged from behind closed doors at 12:30 a.m., they said they could not report on what had been said, but announced that no action would be taken. In spite of a long meeting and the late hour, board members seemed upbeat when they emerged. At least 12 of the more than 50 members of the public remained after the closed session and some talked with board members after adjournment. “This was one of the most productive sessions we’ve had in a long time,” said board vice president Richard Sullivan. “I feel very encouraged about our progress. It was a step in the right direction.” After the difficulties between the board and the administration in the last months, both sides indicated a concerted effort toward reconciliation may be underway. Morton said, “We expressed our points of view and shared ideas on where we need to go and how we need to get there for the future of the district. I committed to the board and I will commit to the community that I will continue to focus on getting this high school built and striving to make our district as good as it can possibly be.” Several items of district business filled the earlier part of the meeting The search begins The effort to replace assistant superintendent for business administration, Ron Wolfe, who will leave on Dec. 31, is proceeding slowly, board members explained. The district hoped to find an interim to fill in while a permanent replacement could be found. This has proved problematic due to a number of factors, including time of year. Twelve applicants for the permanent position were screened. Three were called for interviews; one hasn’t responded. Of the two interviewed, one was a strong candidate, the board reported. Rather than move forward with one viable candidate, the board’s search committee has chosen to revise their requirements for the position and post the vacancy again in January, in hopes of attracting a larger pool of candidates. Morton reported that in his inquiries to locate possible interim candidates, he discovered that there is a reticence among potential candidates to come to Sparta, due to perceived difficulties between the board and the administration. This could change, going forward, if that perception is tempered by recent conciliatory efforts. Board president Michael Schiavoni said in an interview Friday that he feels Sparta would be a desirable community for a business administrator. He said the structural components of the job are attractive and the fact that Sparta voters routinely pass school budgets is a plus. He added, “Personality issues will be seen as temporary and should be less of an impediment in the future.” Sparta resident, Maureen Myre, said after the meeting that she was concerned about passing up a highly qualified candidate just because there were not more choices. High school security guards Based on a recommendation submitted by high school Principal Richard Lio, the board voted to hire two full-time security guards for the high school. One will monitor the front door while the other will patrol the halls. The goal is to have the guards in place by January. Temporary classrooms The board hasn’t decided whether to rent or purchase portable classroom needed during reconstruction. A report submitted by Bill Corfield, of the Spiezel Architecture and Design firm, outlined the costs of renting or purchasing the units. The board will request clarification from Spiezel. Reconstruction timeline A preliminary construction timeline has been posted on the district Web site. This may be subject to change as more detailed plans are finalized. The posting is an effort to respond to citizens’ request for more information on the construction project. Cell phone policy The official wording is that cell phones and pagers are “not allowed in the school building.” However, it is known that some students bring phones with them. Phones are not allowed to be seen during school hours .