Sparta Police Department

| 15 Feb 2012 | 10:39

    Dec. 8 A minor motor vehicle accident late Thursday night resulted in one of the operators being arrested and charged with DWI. At 10:17 p.m., Officer Robert Fraser was dispatched to Westgate Drive to investigate the accident. It was determined that a car operated by Laurie Dicianni, 52, of Sparta, was stopped at a stop sign waiting to make a turn, when her vehicle was struck on the side by a grey Audi. The Audi continued on several hundred feet before pulling into a private driveway. The operator of the Audi, Andover Township resident, Darlene Polite, 48, was arrested after she failed a series of field sobriety tests. She was charged with DWI, and careless driving. Polite was released several hours to a sober family member. Her vehicle was impounded. No injuries were reported at the scene. Sgt. John Lamon and Officer CJ Grauerholz assisted at the scene. Dec. 10 A 9-1-1 Emergency cellular phone call from a concerned motorist reporting a possible drunk driver has resulted in the arrest of an Andover Township woman early Saturday evening. At 6:19 p.m. Officer CJ Grauerholz was dispatched to Route 15 north in the area of the 12-mile marker to investigate the complaint. A short time later the officer identified the suspect vehicle. After making independent observations of his own as to erratic operation, the officer stopped the SUV. The operator, Jill Sommerville, 53, was arrested after she failed a series of field sobriety tests. She was then transported to police headquarters for processing and breath testing. Sommerville was charged with DWI, careless driving, driving while suspended, and failure to keep right. Sommerville was released several hours later to a sober adult. Her vehicle has been impounded. Sgt. John Lamon assisted with the investigation. Dec. 11 A Sparta man, who was free on $50,000 bail after being charged with a violent assault in Pennsylvania one month ago, was arrested and charged after he attempted to rob the 7-11 convenience store early yesterday morning. At 5:20 a.m., Sparta Police were dispatched to the Pine Cone Lane store after the clerk reported a lone male threatened him with a knife. The clerk reported that the male aimlessly walked around the store and then approached the counter and displayed a knife with a 7-inch blade and yelled at the clerk, asking him if he was scared. When another patron entered the store, the suspect fled the scene on foot. After obtaining a physical description of the suspect, officers began to canvass the area. A short time later, Sgt. Jeffrey Mase was checking other open businesses on Center Street in the Theater Center. While checking the area on foot, an unknown male began yelling expletives in a threatening tone directed at the sergeant. The sergeant could not see the suspect in the dark. Additional police units arrived on scene but once again, the suspect fled on foot. At 6:28 a.m., Officer CJ Grauerholz located the suspect walking on Woodport Road near Birch Tree Lane. Corey Winkler, 21, was taken into custody without incident. Winkler did not have the knife in his possession but police recovered a black nylon sheath. Video surveillance from the store shows Winkler displaying the knife to the clerk. At police headquarters, Winkler’s behavior became more and more bizarre. While inside a holding cell, Winkler took off all his clothes and began screaming incoherently. He then began simulating shooting a gun and engaging in martial arts stances and kicks. Winkler has been charged with attempted robbery and possession of a weapon for unlawful purposes. His bail has been set at $100,000 without a 10 percent option. Winkler is currently under police guard being assessed by mental health professionals. The investigation is still ongoing and additional charges are pending. Officers Richard Smith and David Pridham assisted at the scene. Winkler was free on bail following his Nov. 12 arrest by Bloomsburg, Penn., police who charged Winkler with aggravated assault and harassment. It is alleged that Winkler assaulted Michael Logan Walsh, 21, of Milford, Penn., and left him outside and unconscious for more than four hours before he was found. The victim was later admitted in the Adult Intensive Care/Trauma Unit at Geisinger Medical Center in Danville, Penn., with severe head trauma and facial injuries including brain swelling.